November 13, 2009

Last night, I had the supreme pleasure of seeing Dreamgirls at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem. My husband was a member of the crew that was videotaping the show for promotional purposes. Because I was getting a ride back home with him, I waited as the crew packed up at the end of the evening.

I was charmed by the conversation and patter that occurring among the theatre staff that remained after the audience left, and by the beauty and intimacy of the theatre. I thought, "Wow, these folk invite strangers into their home every evening."

Waiting patiently for the crew, I stood quietly in the back of the theatre, reading email on my phone. When I did look up, a staff member noticed, came over to me, and with a big smile, said, "Oh, you finally looked up!"

I replied that I was simply trying to stay out of the way. He then smiled even harder and offered, "Don't worry, girl; you're home here."

Just what I was thinking. The play, by the way, is terrific!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Blog Archive