December 12, 2009

she said / I said


My wife told me that something interesting happened to her the other day.

She was getting her usual coffee to go from the coffee shop in the building next door to her office.

She saw a young man for whom she felt an instant warmth and affinity, but she did not know why, because she did not recognize him, or know him.

She puzzled over this, she told me, for a little while. Then, she told me, she figured it out.

This young many, she told me, was not quite tall enough, but otherwise looked very much like I did, twenty years ago, when we met.

Well, I replied, I don't understand that. Because no woman could remind me of how you looked twenty years ago, I told her, because you look just the same, just as lovely, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Blog Archive