On Monday night, a friend and I were having dinner at a local restaurant. A woman in a long and puffy down coat, wearing a hat and carrying a tote bag, squeezed between our table and hers, back to us, en route to sit down. She knocked over my friend's glass of water, spilling the contents into my friend's lap. The stranger turned to face my friend and me, and simply announced, "I'm not that big."
Upon hearing this story when I returned home, Tom commented, "Well, that's sort of like an apology, in that they both begin with 'I'."
- ► 2014 (44)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (121)
- ► 2011 (227)
- Health Care & Complexity Science
- My response to comment on More on the Role of the ...
- (that's a one followed by eight zeroes)
- More on the role of the listener
- What happens to the brain when you share a story?
- eV & EV
- light science & ...
- From the Kensington Parkway bridge over Rock Creek...
- I haven't seen X since Y began.
- not an acronym
- metasyntactic arguments
- the opposite of story
- Look ma, no cords!
- Smells like science!
- There are No Superstars of Bowling
- correlation is not necessarily causality; even if ...
- beefing up vs. slimming down
- how not to apologize
- Invisible High School or Invisible College?
- Comedy as the Failure of Drama
- Fifty's not normal.
- formally speaking
- "I can only give you everything."
- "...our civil rights have no dependence on our rel...
- Welcome to the twenties!
- New Year's Day dog-blogging, III.
- New Year's Day cat-blogging, II.
- New Year's Day dog-blogging, II.
- New Year's Day cat-blogging.
- New Year's Day dog-blogging.
- ▼ January (31)