January 24, 2010

I haven't seen X since Y began.



"So," I said, "I haven't
seen a beaver since that tunneling station started up."

"I bet you're right," she replied. "That thing is like a city, or a factory that's always running. No wonder the beavers are gone."

But aren't we, I hope (note: not "hopefully") perhaps making two mistakes here? First, mistaking absence of evidence for evidence of absence? And second, mistaking correlation for causation? And two wrongs don't make a right. But damn (note: not "dam"), that worksite for the drilling of the new water tunnel is awfully close to our favorite beaver spot.

We'll see, if (when?) we see beavers in the creek again.


____

[Photos of beavers in Rock Creek, as seen from the Kensington Parkway Bridge, on 14 July 2007 & 13 July 2008, respectively; more photos here. Late edit: We provide a map in a followup post.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Blog Archive