This collection is a wonderful reminder that good writing is not about knowing words, grammar or Faulkner, but having that rare ability to tell the truth, an ability that education and sophistication often serve to conceal.
August 24, 2009
and the last word is...
Just one sentence from Toni Bentley's review, in yesterday's New York Times, of "Hos, Hookers, Call Girls and Rent Boys: Professionals Writing on Life, Love, Money, and Sex", edited by David Henry Sterry and R. J. Martin, Jr:
- ► 2014 (44)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (121)
- ► 2011 (227)
- ► 2010 (369)
- A proof of the existence of an intelligent proofre...
- "a hot car, a hot girl, and a cold beer"
- "... fantasies of the eras when the longings began...
- stay smooth
- googlewhacks, Orwell, & modest immodesty
- as a courtesy to our readers
- "... reveals better than all the words in the worl...
- Presenting Research and Methodology
- and the last word is...
- "... in the darkened rooms, in louvered light..."
- option of the week
- status update: one hundred served
- Those Who Know the Least Yell the Loudest
- "twenty years of schooling and they put you on the...
- Story sharing, if done right, results in chaos.
- More on Believable & Bearable
- We seek to strike a responsive chord in people, no...
- Believable & Bearable
- Care for a 20-oz. pour with your 358-year-old oper...
- opera in a barn
- ▼ August (23)