Studio musicians showed up in rides they had bought with their first big paychecks, to be redeemed in years to follow from impound lots, winched out of mudslides, preserved from the depredations of divorce lawyers, all replacement parts kept authentic for resales that would never happen, fantasies of the eras when the longings began, Morgans from the showroom up in Westwood with hoods held down by leather straps, Cobra 289s and '62 Bonnevilles and that supernatural DeSoto in which James Stewart, gone round the bend of love, tails Kim Novak in Vertigo (1958).
August 29, 2009
"... fantasies of the eras when the longings began..."
Just one more sentence, this one from page 298, of Thomas Pynchon's new novel "Inherent Vice":
- ► 2014 (44)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (121)
- ► 2011 (227)
- ► 2010 (369)
- A proof of the existence of an intelligent proofre...
- "a hot car, a hot girl, and a cold beer"
- "... fantasies of the eras when the longings began...
- stay smooth
- googlewhacks, Orwell, & modest immodesty
- as a courtesy to our readers
- "... reveals better than all the words in the worl...
- Presenting Research and Methodology
- and the last word is...
- "... in the darkened rooms, in louvered light..."
- option of the week
- status update: one hundred served
- Those Who Know the Least Yell the Loudest
- "twenty years of schooling and they put you on the...
- Story sharing, if done right, results in chaos.
- More on Believable & Bearable
- We seek to strike a responsive chord in people, no...
- Believable & Bearable
- Care for a 20-oz. pour with your 358-year-old oper...
- opera in a barn
- ▼ August (23)