In the little apartment complexes the wind entered narrowing to whistle through the stairwells and ramps and catwalks, and the leaves of the palm trees outside rattled together with a liquid sound, so that from inside, in the darkened rooms, in louvered light, it sounded like a rainstorm, the wind raging in the concrete geometry, the palms beating together like the rush of a tropical downpour, enough to get you to open the door and look outside, and of course there'd be only the same hot cloudless depth of day, no rain in sight.
August 22, 2009
"... in the darkened rooms, in louvered light..."
Just one sentence, about the Santa Ana winds, from page 98 of Thomas Pynchon's new novel "Inherent Vice":
- ► 2014 (44)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (121)
- ► 2011 (227)
- ► 2010 (369)
- A proof of the existence of an intelligent proofre...
- "a hot car, a hot girl, and a cold beer"
- "... fantasies of the eras when the longings began...
- stay smooth
- googlewhacks, Orwell, & modest immodesty
- as a courtesy to our readers
- "... reveals better than all the words in the worl...
- Presenting Research and Methodology
- and the last word is...
- "... in the darkened rooms, in louvered light..."
- option of the week
- status update: one hundred served
- Those Who Know the Least Yell the Loudest
- "twenty years of schooling and they put you on the...
- Story sharing, if done right, results in chaos.
- More on Believable & Bearable
- We seek to strike a responsive chord in people, no...
- Believable & Bearable
- Care for a 20-oz. pour with your 358-year-old oper...
- opera in a barn
- ▼ August (23)