The fact that we are not really bothered any more by taking helpless detainees in our custody and (a) threatening to blow their brains out, torture them with drills, rape their mothers, and murder their children; (b) choking them until they pass out; (c) pouring water down their throats to drown them; (d) hanging them by their arms until their shoulders are dislocated; (e) blowing smoke in their face until they vomit; (f) putting them in diapers, dousing them with cold water, and leaving them on a concrete floor to induce hypothermia; and (g) beating them with the butt of a rifle -- all things that we have always condemend as "torture" and which our laws explicitly criminalize as felonies ("torture means. . . the threat of imminent death; or the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering...") -- reveals better than all the words in the world could how degraded, barbaric and depraved a society becomes when it lifts the taboo on torturing captives.
August 26, 2009
"... reveals better than all the words in the world could..."
Just one sentence from Glenn Greenwald's Salon.com essay "The CIA torture regime: What every American should be forced to learn" (a sentence found in "Update II" and addressed "to those blithely dismissing all of this as things that don't seem particularly bothersome..."):
- ► 2014 (44)
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (121)
- ► 2011 (227)
- ► 2010 (369)
- A proof of the existence of an intelligent proofre...
- "a hot car, a hot girl, and a cold beer"
- "... fantasies of the eras when the longings began...
- stay smooth
- googlewhacks, Orwell, & modest immodesty
- as a courtesy to our readers
- "... reveals better than all the words in the worl...
- Presenting Research and Methodology
- and the last word is...
- "... in the darkened rooms, in louvered light..."
- option of the week
- status update: one hundred served
- Those Who Know the Least Yell the Loudest
- "twenty years of schooling and they put you on the...
- Story sharing, if done right, results in chaos.
- More on Believable & Bearable
- We seek to strike a responsive chord in people, no...
- Believable & Bearable
- Care for a 20-oz. pour with your 358-year-old oper...
- opera in a barn
- ▼ August (23)